Home News Unidentified gunmen do not want Anambra election to take place: INEC

Unidentified gunmen do not want Anambra election to take place: INEC

3
0

INEC Chairman: Yakubu Mahmood
Since the onset of 2019, hoodlums have invaded 14 INEC offices 41 times, destroying 1,105 ballot boxes, 429 generators, and 13 vehicles.

Mahmood Yakubu, the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has voiced concern that individuals destroying and burning public infrastructure in the South-East do not want the Anambra governorship election in November 6 to take place.

“From the reports, we have received, the stated goal of many of the attackers is that the Governorship election scheduled for 6th November 2021 must not hold,” Mr Yakubu said at a meeting with heads of security agencies on Tuesday in Abuja.

“This is worrisome for the Commission. We are deeply concerned that specific electoral facilities and materials could once more become targets of attack,” he added.

Unknown gunmen continue to target INEC premises and equipment, prompting Mr Yakubu’s concerns.

“Recall that in May this year, our State Office at Awka was attacked and all the non-sensitive materials assembled for the election at the time were destroyed.

“In addition, our store, collation centre and the main office building were either totally or substantially damaged. The Commission also lost several vehicles to be used for the election,” the INEC chairman said.

Mr Yakubu claimed in May that 14 INEC offices had been attacked 41 times since the 2019 general elections, destroying 1,105 ballot boxes, 429 generator sets, and 13 vehicles.

Leave a Reply